Wednesday, October 09, 2013

You've Got Mail…I've Got Troubles

Day #9

I have blogged before about always being a bit surprised about the old movies that our girls

love



are indifferent to


or downright despise.


My husband had plans with a buddy a few Friday nights ago so I planned a little 

"girls night in" for us.

I went to the library and checked out "You've Got Mail" with Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks.


The girls really only know Tom Hanks as the voice of Woody from "Toy Story" 


or one of the guys from "Apollo 13".


I am not sure why I am putting quotation marks 
around all the movie titles.
Isn't that just for book titles?

I thought this movie choice would be a nice fluffy romantic comedy that we could all enjoy.

The questions started immediately with the first email sent in the movie.

"What's that terrible noise?"
(the sound of the dial up modem)

"What is AOL?"

"Who is saying, 'You've got mail'?"

"Why are their laptops always plugged in?"

"Why are the graphics so terrible?"

"What is a chat room?"

"Seriously, you had to listen to that terrible sound 
EVERY TIME you checked your email?"

It became an educational walk down 1998's technological memory lane.

And then I just 

"SHHHHHHHed!" them.

The girls got all kinds of caught up in the plot line of the big bookstore, Fox Books,  putting out of business the little bookstore, The Shop Around the Corner.

So much so that when the characters realized that the people they had been emailing all along were actually each other,

and they hugged and kissed and the big THE END sign appeared in the blue sky above their embrace,

the girls were mad.

McDaniel actually said,

"Worst ending of a movie, EVER!"

Really?!

Obviously, she hasn't seen "Thelma and Louise".

Because c'mon, when Tom Hanks says that if he hadn't been Fox Books 
he would've asked for Meg Ryan's number so they could go get coffee or dinner
 and a movie…for as long as we both shall live…?
Well, that is just the stuff of fairy tales.

McDaniel explained that the Fox Books guy should've offered to BUY Meg Ryan's bookstore back for her since he was responsible for putting her out of business in the first place.

Ellie completely agreed and wondered what in the world Meg Ryan was going to do with her time,

"JUST be his wife?!"

There may or may not have been z-snapping 
and attitude-filled head swinging.

How is it that a simple romantic comedy can expose my complete and utter failure as a parent to these girls of mine?

I have work to do, people. Serious work. 

What am I doing watching movies?

14 comments:

  1. LOL. I love that movie and my hubby and I met through online, dial up, "you've got mail", emails. =) That is one of my go to, could watch over and over again movies. "Along with While You Were Sleeping" (I will add the quotes, because now I am not sure if you do or do not need them! Ha!) I might have to just watch Tom and Meg later while I fold the laundry in my room. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karmen,

    Really? What a neat story that you met in pretty much the same way as the plot of the movie! I can see why it is your favorite. You should blog about that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not exactly in the same way, LOL. I put up an online personals ad, he responded. Then it was the emailing back and forth, but close to the same. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so funny! She's right - he (Joe Fox) should have bought her out. I never thought of that. lol

    WE love that movie at our house and just watched it on Sunday night. It seems to fit with fall and the upcoming holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy,

    I know, after ALL the times I have seen that movie, it never crossed my mind for him to buy back her bookstore! I guess I am just a hopeless romantic.

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a funny discussion. See, if he bought her back then he would be "rescuing" her. Did she really need rescuing? I don't think she did. As hard as losing her bookstore was it freed her to find who she was and not who she had in a sense been told who she should be. As it said in the movie it gave her a chance to imagine herself as a totally new person. If he had saved the bookstore (which business wise really wouldn't have been saved, because the clientele would still have chosen the cheaper option of fox books over the shop around the corner)then he would have in a sense imprisoned who should could eventually end up being. And wow, this is really a much too deep commentary on a simple romantic comedy. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karmen,

    That is AWESOME! I am reading your deep analysis of the movie to the girls when they get home from school. With hand motions and moving music playing in the background. Ha! Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love You've Got Mail and the whole romance of the bookstore setting and their romance as well. (My Mother-in-law always laughs so at her singing the parts of the CHrsitmas song (horses, horses and ding a ling a ding). I had thought of him buying her out but I agree with Karmen M. - it opened new doors for her. I am going to have to watch it again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Horses horses horses is actually from Sleepless in Seattle LOL and I cannot pass a horse without singing that. It is almost OCD. Imagine how much fun I was on our cross country trip and all the numerous horses we passed along the way. HORSES HORSES HORSES Dinga linga ding.

    So Karmen, what did the girls think of your dramatic presentation of the dissertation haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karmen,

    My girls were quite open to your dissertation--ha! They agreed but I have to admit they were more fascinated by the fact that you are a Karmen with a "K" than anything else. :)

    Ok--WHO sang the horses horses part in Sleepless in Seattle?? Meg Ryan? I can't picture that part.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes Meg Ryan. She was in the car driving. That is right before she heas Jonah on the radio followed by tom hands character Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still am fascinated by the whole Karmen with a K thing as well. I still do a double take sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The auto correct on my phone drives me batty and I cannot figure out how to turn it off. Sorry for all the typos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. found it.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxtLxqBolJI

    ReplyDelete

Burning Down

The other day I was listening to the podcast The Next Right Thing. It was the episode titled Reflection as Activism.  Emily P. Freeman said ...