Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Cattle On A Hill

Day #23


On the drive back from the women's retreat,

Sumita and I saw some amazing sites.

It was such a beautiful crisp sunny fall day.

The sky was that deep blue

and the leaves were really starting to change color.


Through the rural countryside we passed rustic red and faded white barns

that seemed to have faces with their hay lofts in varying stages of decline.

We passed stretches of land that felt as if we had stepped back in time 

and we'd soon see a covered wagon 



and Carrie Ingalls falling down running through the meadow.



But the most striking thing we saw was a hill with cattle grazing on it.

If we weren't part of a caravan,

I would've stopped the car to take a picture.

Sumita said it reminded her of the scripture Psalm 50:10:


"…for every animal of the forest is mine, and the cattle on a thousand hills."

Source:  http://beanscountrybeef.com/about.html
It looked a lot like this!
I told her that it seemed as if the cows knew that.

That they knew they belonged to God.

I hummed the old hymn "Blessed Assurance" all weekend.

Even though we didn't sing it at the retreat.

Remember that song?

I looked up the words because, of course, I could only remember a few:

  1. Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
    Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine!
    Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
    Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.
    • Refrain:
      This is my story, this is my song,
      Praising my Savior all the day long;
      This is my story, this is my song,
      Praising my Savior all the day long.
  2. Perfect submission, perfect delight,
    Visions of rapture now burst on my sight;
    Angels, descending, bring from above
    Echoes of mercy, whispers of love.
  3. Perfect submission, all is at rest,
    I in my Savior am happy and blest,
    Watching and waiting, looking above,
    Filled with His goodness, lost in His love.

    "Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine!"

    That is what it felt like seeing the cattle on the hill.

    "Filled with His goodness, lost in His love."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Burning Down

The other day I was listening to the podcast The Next Right Thing. It was the episode titled Reflection as Activism.  Emily P. Freeman said ...