Thursday, October 04, 2012

Sock it to Me Halloween Wreath

Day #4 of 31 Days of Storytelling



What do sock wreaths have to do with storytelling? 

Good question.

I LOVE to craft.

What does THAT have to do with sock wreaths or storytelling?

Hang on. I'm getting there.

I love it when people see one of my crafts and ask me

the how 
or the what 
or the why 
of that craft. 

Because then it becomes a…

wait for it…

story!

Which leads me to answer the why a sock wreath question.

In a word:  Pinterest

I saw this sock wreath a while back on Pinterest. This is the original post it came from.

I want to give credit where credit is due. 

If you haven't checked out Pinterest

(poor thing, must live in a cave and probably don't have WIFI. Wait, so how are you reading this?) 

it is the most inspiring site full of every idea imaginable and a few you NEVER would've ever imagined.

Make sure you have a block of time. 

It's addicting.

So I decided that I would give the adorable Halloween sock wreath a shot.

What you need:

•Foam wreath  
•2 or 3 pairs of Halloween socks (depending on scrunch preference-I only used 2)
•Decorative signage (optional)
•Ribbon to hang

I couldn't find a round edge foam wreath and went with a square edged one which made sliding the socks (really there was no sliding, it was yanking and pulling) a wee bit more difficult.

But I found these socks super cheap. 

And wondered who would wear them 
and with what outfit 
and would this said outfit reveal these socks in their totality 
or just offer a glimpse?

I am rooting for totality.

See how I can make a craft into a story?

It's what I do.

Where was I?

Oh yeah.

THE BEGINNING.

First of all, you cut the heal and toe out of each sock (so you get two open ended pieces to slide onto your wreath form.




Oops. Forgot to flip picture before I posted it. But you get the  idea, right?

Cut the foam wreath with a knife so you can slide the socks onto the form.


Getting closer.



All this and no hot glue!



Yes, this door is over 60 years old. Jealous? I think it is the Leave It To Beaver front door too.



I added this Trick or Treat sign that fell off of a bigger decoration I used to hang outside until it rotted apart and I realized it was an inside only decoration. 

Oops.

But it works with this wreath, doesn't it?

I hung it with a silvery glittery ribbon I had on hand. But now that I'm looking at it, purple could be snazzy too.


By.

Far.

The.

EASIEST.   (hang tight, there's a payoff)

Wreath.

I've ever made. 

Like, done and hung up 

ON MY DOOR 

in less than 30 minutes.

THE END

3 comments:

  1. Great idea for the sock wreath. It could also be something I do with the socks the dryer didn't eat -- all those poor singles in my drawer. Ty for the craft and the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute Halloween wreath- I love it! Honestly I have never heard of using socks before but it's a great idea! Stopping by from Throwback Thursday and pinning. :)

    ReplyDelete

Burning Down

The other day I was listening to the podcast The Next Right Thing. It was the episode titled Reflection as Activism.  Emily P. Freeman said ...