Friday, October 12, 2012

From End Table to Bedside Table

Day #12 of 31 Days of Storytelling

A year ago my girlfriend gave me this fantastic end table

(thanks, Beth!) 

that had been given to her by her husband's grandmother.

I knew RIGHT AWAY what I wanted to do with it.

But I let it sit in my garage for almost a year before I did anything with it.

I could give you many excuses why.

Like, I needed my dad's help and he lives 4 hours away.

Like, It was starting to get cold and spray paint doesn't like cold weather.

Like, I just showered and I don't want to get dirty.

But I won't.

Let's just say, I didn't get to it until later.

Nigel posing with the table.


When Beth gave it to me it was a low end table height with short legs.

Sorry. I didn't take pictures of it in its original form. Think 1970s.

I had my dad make longer legs so it could become a bedside table.


This table is solid and HEAVY.

I knew I wanted the table to be red.

I bought Monte a red bedside table at a flea market a few years ago and I have been

just 
downright 
jealous of it.

Love all the storage space. Don't love how I didn't wipe all
the dust off before I took this picture.
I am an avid reader and needed a table with lots of storage for my books. This one has it.

Look at these beauties.

I decided to go the easy route and spray painted the whole thing with a primer first (since the legs were raw wood).



I chose a glossy red spray paint. (It took a few cans.)




And a hammered bronze for the handles.

I sprayed a protective coat just on the top (since I always bring a glass of water with me to bed.)

I LOVE it!

And I am NO LONGER jealous of Monte's bedside table.

Mine is bigger.


1 comment:

  1. Sumita8:41 PM

    Now I am jealous! It is BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete

Burning Down

The other day I was listening to the podcast The Next Right Thing. It was the episode titled Reflection as Activism.  Emily P. Freeman said ...