Sunday, October 14, 2012

Concert

Day #14 of 31 Days of Storytelling

Last Friday night we went to the 
(long awaited by our 13-year-old) 
Scotty McCreery concert.

Remember him from winning American Idol a few seasons ago?



Except it wasn't the Scotty McCreery concert.

It was the Brad Paisley concert.


FYI, he is married to Kimberly Williams from Father of the Bride.


I am no subscriber to People magazine, but I happen to know this bit of celebrity trivia.

Back to the concert…

Scotty was the opening act to the opening act.

He played for 25 minutes.

He sounded REALLY good.

McDaniel loved every minute of it.
She could've gone home then and been truly happy.

The Band Perry was the true opening act.



The lead singer's voice was rough for the first few songs then she BELTED out "Fat Bottom Girls" by Queen.

Awesome.

We have seen Brad Paisley before and he just doesn't disappoint.

But it was loud for this old bird. When we saw him before, it was an outdoor venue.

This was inside and it was LOUD.

And not just because of the speakers.

The big guy behind us

(Monte's age, I swear) 

screamed 

"I LOVE YOU BRAD PAISLEY!" 

and "THIS IS AWESOME!" 

and "I AM SO GLAD I AM HERE!" 

and "HALLELUJAH!"

72 times.

At first we tried to be polite and hide our snickers.

But after 15 or 16 screams, we flat out turned around and laughed out loud.

Then I wanted him to shut up.

But you had to admire his enthusiasm.

When is the last time you felt inspired to scream, "THIS IS AWESOME!"

or "HALLELUJAH!"?

I have a favorite home decor shop that I love to go into.



It is the kind of place I would open if I ever did such a thing as open a home decor shop.

 I could almost see myself screaming,

"I AM SO GLAD I AM HERE!" 

when I am in there.

Almost.

The concert got long.

I got sleepy.

There wasn't ice cream.

Or a snow cone

Or coffee

to keep me awake.

We left during the first encore.

I felt old.

This morning at church they showed a short video promoting the Samaritan's Purse ministry.



 It is where you donate a shoe box full of goodies for a child in poverty-stricken areas all over the world.

They are Christmas presents. 

For many, the first presents they have ever received.

Each box is prayed over.

In each box the gospel is presented.

Scotty McCreery appeared in the video helping to pack the boxes in his home state of North Carolina and then we saw him distributing the boxes to the children in Dominican Republic--
in person.


Anyone that knew McDaniel well, 
turned their gaze on her when he hit the screen.

Scotty said something amazing,

"It is cool to think that maybe somebody will be with me in heaven as a result of one of the boxes I help pack."

"HALLELUJAH!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Burning Down

The other day I was listening to the podcast The Next Right Thing. It was the episode titled Reflection as Activism.  Emily P. Freeman said ...