Wednesday, October 03, 2012

A Funny Thing Happened While Mowing the Lawn…

Day #3 of 31 Days of Storytelling

I heard an interesting story some time ago. My friend told me that her 13-year-old son was mowing their front lawn.

That's not the interesting part. 

Be patient. I'm getting to it.

While he was mowing, a beat up, noisy, clunker truck flew around the corner onto their street

(practically on two wheels) 

and screeched to a halt right in front of my friend's house. The driver began to look at their house and the neighbor's while scribbling on a piece of paper.

My friend's son was disturbed by this. 

In the testosterone-raging-territorial-protecting mind of a 13-year-old boy, he thought it would be a good idea to whip out his pocket knife and point it at the driver while gesturing a "I have my eyes on you" kind of gesture.

The driver was not amused and gestured back. 

But not the "I have my eyes on you too" kind of gesture. 

Not even close.

Let me offer a little background to this story.

My friend's son was being maybe a teence too protective because their neighbor's house had recently been vacated

and it is adorned with copper gutters 

and there had been a rash of robberies nearby.

It was a few days later that my friend realized that they had

not 

been receiving 

the newspaper. 

I'm not sure if it was before or during the phone call to the newspaper office that it donned on her that the

beat up,

noisy, 

clunker truck driver 

could have indeed been their paper delivery guy. 

She asked the person on the phone if she could have the name and number of their deliverer and if possible the make and model of the vehicle they drove.

Can you imagine that conversation?

I can!

Receptionist:  You want to know what your paper deliverer drives? Why?

My friend:  Um, my son may have threatened him with a knife and I'd like to have him apologize.

!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Burning Down

The other day I was listening to the podcast The Next Right Thing. It was the episode titled Reflection as Activism.  Emily P. Freeman said ...