Monday, January 07, 2013

One Word

I have been noticing that many bloggers are picking one word for 2013 to

strive for, 
hold them accountable 
or just flat out 
use as an anthem for the new year.

Examples:


and 


There is even an entire web site dedicated to this one word idea.


I poo-pooed this idea of one word last year. 
(Remember? I am the one with no smart phone. Not an early adapter.)

Which made me pause when I saw it pop up again this year. 

I am not so much for hopping on the trend wagon. 
I like to see things tested and tried out.
By someone else.
First. 

I have nothing painted in ombre in my house. 
(Google it. Or better yet--Pinterest it. All the rage in painting. And hair coloring as it turns out.)

I have no chevron in my house. 
(Although I did try to paint my own on fabric for a pillow cover. Looked like Charlie Brown's shirt.)

I have nothing against either of those things. 

Well, except for maybe ombre. 




I don't get it. 
Painting something in slightly different tones of the same color? 
Isn't that the paint chip shelf of Lowe's or Sherwin Williams? 

But for the sake of stepping outside of my normal safety zone, 
I am going to give this whole one word thing a shot.

Before I could give it much thought, the word LINK came to mind.

So I prayed about it.

And the word just wouldn't go away.

A new friend emailed me an invitation to a bible study that a longtime friend has invited me to numerous times 

that I poo-pooed each time--
see how I roll in new situations?

You see, I was already in a bible study that I loved

and was comfortable with
and loved all the people.

Why would I go to another bible study??

Both girlfriends (unbeknownst to the other) described this study with words I would use to describe this one word that was now screaming in my head:  

LINK.

Words like:

CONNECT

BOND.

COMMUNITY.

I am not the brightest bulb in the house, but I think God wants my word to be LINK.

And I think He wants me to give this new bible study a try.

I have this image in my head of women's arms being linked. 
Ok, they weren't cowgirls in my head, but how cute are they?

I feel as if I am not supposed to know 

why 
or 
what 
this LINK is all about 
but 
listen 
and 
watch 
as it is revealed. 

I have a whole year, for crying out loud.

I will keep you posted. 






3 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad to have the opportunity to e-LINK arms with you today!!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Possibilities abound. Great word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how God gets our attention -through one word or many.

    ReplyDelete

Burning Down

The other day I was listening to the podcast The Next Right Thing. It was the episode titled Reflection as Activism.  Emily P. Freeman said ...