Tuesday, March 25, 2014

1969

I love writing prompts.

My purse clean out post last week was a writing prompt.



It came from Tuesday Ten which offers different prompts on Tuesdays.




The Liebers



The suggested prompt this week is to write about the top 10 headlines or song titles from the year you were born.

So here goes a combination:

https://search.yahoo.com/search;
_ylt=AlwpVhM0ynhjI3Pg8zLXKbubvZx4?
p=1960s+graphics&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=
UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-901

1) Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin landed on the moon on July 20 (Ellie's birthday).



--Technically I wasn't born until November (just saying...).

2) Women's equality becomes a major political issue.

--I distinctly remember being in the 1st or 2nd grade and going through the alphabet and the teacher asking for a word from the students for each letter. When she came to 'L' I raised my hand and said, "lib". When she asked me what "lib" meant, I said, "women's lib!” 
I bet my girls don’t even know what that means.

3)  Woodstock. 


--The word hippie has always had a negative implication for me. Like in the episode of “The Brady Bunch” when Greg moves his bedroom into Mike’s den and replaces the door with beads and starts wearing striped pants with fringed vests and saying “far out, man” to everything and everyone. 
Well, frankly, I didn’t like Greg anymore. 
Woodstock for me seems like a muddy field full of Gregs. And without proper sanitation and hygiene.



4)  "Sugar, Sugar" by The Archies was #1 on the 
Billboard charts.

--That is just so fitting for me.

I am taking a self-imposed "break" from my
dear, sweet jelly beans.
[Sigh].


5)  The Beatles perform in public for the final time as a group.

6)  Led Zeppelin releases their first two albums.

--They were the first band to be considered “hard rock”. I guess compared to The Archies, they would.

7)  Diana Ross leaves the Supremes.

--I had to just take a moment to sing along to "Listen" from the Dreamgirls soundtrack. 

8)  The New York Mets win their first World Series led by pitcher Tom Seaver.

--You mean he wasn't always with the Cincinnati Reds??

9)  The most popular series on TV include Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In, Gunsmoke and Bonanza.

--I never really did understand the writing all over your body and the dramatic 
"dancing-then-freeze” transitions on Laugh-In. 
See hippie explanation above.

10) Sesame Street debuts on television.

--I am the same age as Big Bird?



My takeaways from the events and songs from the year I was born:

•I have never lived a second on this earth wondering 
when/if man will ever walk on the moon.

--That was so 4-months ago by the time I came around.

•I certainly have and am enjoying the progress from the 
"women's lib” movement. 

--Unless you count the time spent working for the corporate headquarters of Waffle House. 
They certainly haven’t gotten/read ANY of the women’s lib memos.
But my girls don't even know what that term means. 
For that, I am thankful!

•Some music that we still talk about today was brand new.

--I don’t think we will be talking about Miley Cyrus or Justin Bieber in 40-some years.

•The big yellow bird and I share a birth year.

--Do you think he has crow’s feet?

What happened the year you were born?

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! My little brother, who was born in 1967, was one of the first fans of Sesame Street. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1969. What an excellent year! I was 10. My entire family watched Neil Armstrong walk on the moon. That was a HUGE day! My dad loved Bonanza and Gunsmoke. He didn't like Laugh-In - so we hardly ever got to see it. :( I loved the Brady Bunch. Before that show started airing, all the kids at school thought my name (Marcia) was odd. Sometimes I wish they still did. Can't tell you how many times I've heard, "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia" through the years - all because of that show. :D 1969 was a great year and I loved your excellent post about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So three of you now have done 1969 and all had some different facts! I love that! I certainly hope people aren't talking about Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber in 40 years - I think we've all heard far too much about them already! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes, what the heck happened to music? Such classics from the 50s & 60s. If I hear about Miley when I'm in my 50s, it will be a very sad day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I didn't know that about the Beatles. I believe I was named for one of their songs! This was such a fun Tuesday Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1969 was a great year, wasn't it? It's been fun to see the different things we wrote about! I never really liked "hippies" either, and I hated my bell bottoms!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ginny,

    Bell bottoms! They ALWAYS got stuck in my bicycle chain and my brothers would have to go get my parents and my mom would hold up a beach towel while I took off my pants in the middle of the street while my dad worked to free the enormous amount of fabric from the chain. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have a scar on my knee from a bike wreck caused by my bell bottoms getting stuck in the chain. That was before I learned to roll them up and look very fashionable riding down the street. ha.

      Delete
  8. I've been accused of being a hippie before. I think it was because I like to eat fresh fruits and veggies. I'm pretty sure that person doesn't know what a hippie is!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all of these! My husband was born in 1969, I can't wait until he gets home to let him know him and big bird share a birthday :) Coming to say hi from Thursday favorite things

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun post. I was living in France in 1969. I wish I still had my clothes from the 60's and 70's giggle. Thank you for sharing your lovely blog at the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember when "women's lib" was a big topic too. :) Also grateful for the progress made from it. My girls wouldn't even know the term either though. And Greg Brady being a hippie. Fun memories. What a fun meme!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I just LOVE that you are doing these link ups Karmen!!! WOOHOO!! You go GIRL!!! I was gone during this one, but man- '67? I don't really want to research it all anyway... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Burning Down

The other day I was listening to the podcast The Next Right Thing. It was the episode titled Reflection as Activism.  Emily P. Freeman said ...