Wednesday, May 06, 2015

More Table Decorating Ideas for a Women’s Luncheon

Our church’s annual women’s luncheon was last Saturday.

And it did not disappoint.

Get this:  our pastor spoke.

He’s a man.

We usually have a woman speaker at our women’s luncheon.

But our pastor delivered a wonderful message on beauty, the spiritual kind, 
that God reserves for women.

It was lovely.

My mom got to come to the luncheon this year along with my girls.

I think Ellie was saying something. Or had to sneeze.


Let’s get to the table decorations.


I decided to do a Wizard of Oz theme. Less emphasis on the Scarecrow, Tin Man, Lion (not to mention the witch) and more emphasis on scripture with the same message of home, wisdom, heart and courage.


I set a goal for myself not to spend a dime for this table. I only spent money on lollipops and Skittles.

Wait. I also spent $.99 on a pair of shoes at a thrift store that I turned into ruby slippers.

I looked for shoes with a bow and was happy to find these.


I spray painted the shoes a glossy red.


While the shoes were still wet, I sprinkled red glitter all over them.


I didn’t even put down a tarp since our backyard still looks like the surface of the moon.

The red glitter classes it up just a teence.


I’m happy with the way they turned out. 

Except red glitter is ALL OVER THE HOUSE now.


How perfect is this scripture in Proverbs?


I brought in a picnic basket that I had to display the slippers and printed out the “There’s No Place Like Home” with a scripture about our citizenship being in heaven.

I used clothes pins to hold up the sign.


I made poppies from crepe paper and pipe cleaners. I swear we used to make these for the veterans in school but my mom said it was the other way around.


I found free printables of blue gingham and yellow brick roads that I printed and put on contact paper to attach them together for a table runner. I cut the yellow brick road to look winding.


I separated two big bags of Skittles by color and layered them in large mason jars to look like a rainbow and to also hold up large lollipops.

People had no problem helping themselves to the Skittles. 

I wish I had brought Ziploc bags so 
they could’ve taken some home.


I used felt rose cut outs as chargers that I had on hand from Dollar Tree. 

I put a lollipop at each place setting.


My friends, Sumita and Jill, threw this table together at the last minute when they realized they were short a table decorator. 


Don’t you love what you can do with china, baskets and the produce section of the grocery store?

Makes me hungry.

Look at these shadowbox flower frames! 

The little bud vase is held by an eye bolt that is screwed into the side of the frame. I wanted to ask the lady who decorated the table if she made them but I got distracted. 

It’s easy to get distracted in a room full of creative people. 
And food. 


This next table was awesome. 

A chef’s table!

Complete with a chef’s hat at each place setting.

The woman who decorated the table teaches cooking classes 
at the church so this made so much sense.


Don’t you love the centerpiece pot and utensils? How easy but totally effective.


She even used cookie cutters as napkin rings. Adorable!


You can see they had a blast with those chef hats.

Love these ladies, Sarah and Patti.
Sorry I stole this off your Facebook page, Patti!
This very elegant table included the quilt pieces of her grandmother as a table runner.


This table had a Precious Moments theme.



There was a teddy bear table.


 A tropical table.


I love how she used carrots and limes with the pineapple for the centerpiece.


The cat table honoring the cats, Lewis and Clark, of a woman in our church.


There were even cat masks!


All the tables were wonderful but I have to say, this took the grand prize in my book. 

The Star Trek table.


The attention to detail was phenomenal!


I have to admit, I have never seen a complete episode of Star Trek ever so I didn’t get all the references.


But I do know the hand signal of this cookie. 

Even if I can’t actually do it.


I love the glittery emblem on the goody bags.



Inside were these “delicacies”.





Leonard Nimoy sat at the table too.

Bullet holes in the face and all.


His chair faced mine and I kept feeling like someone was staring at me.

It was Leonard.

So there you have it.

Another year of creative ideas for table decorating for a luncheon.

Click here if you’d like to see last year’s luncheon tables.

2 comments:

  1. That looks like so much fun! All the tables would be fun to sit at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love the creativity behind every table! Yours is fantastic - and those "slippers" turned out great. Best wishes with the glitter removal. Our daughter has been married for a few years now and we STILL occasionally find some glitter somewhere leftover from her cheerleader days...But I have to say that glitter dust is way more fun than sheet rock/remodel dust : )

    ReplyDelete

Burning Down

The other day I was listening to the podcast The Next Right Thing. It was the episode titled Reflection as Activism.  Emily P. Freeman said ...