Thursday, November 21, 2013

Shop Around

The other morning before school McDaniel was playing Captain and Tennille's "Shop Around".



Such a great song to get you going first thing in the morning.

That and coffee.

That song made me think of being young and what if I looked in the mirror as I was getting dressed and I was actually 8 years old again listening to the song on my blue jeans record player in my pink gingham wallpapered room?



Part of that was true--we were listening to it on my blue jeans record player that is now McDaniel's.

But I am very much NOT 8 years old.

I have the forehead wrinkles 
and gray hair to prove it.

But still, it got me thinking.

Would I even WANT to be 8 years old again??

Assuming the powers of Hollywood were possible like in the movie "Freaky Friday".



Maybe for like a second.

To have my parents and siblings under one roof again.

To hug my grandparents again.

To go through one more holiday season with the wide-eyed excitement and careless abandon of a kid who has to buy no one anything.

The innocence of no responsibility or cares 
other than brushing my teeth before bed,
 saying please and thank you
and dreaming of being an Olympic Ice Skater.
(I had the Dorothy Hamill hairdo already.)




But then there would be no Monte.

Or McDaniel.

Or Ellie.

Or Nigel.

But the cool thing is,

when I was jamming to Captain & Tennille's "Shop Around", 
when it was new and popular,
in my pink gingham wallpapered room,

God already imagined all of those people for me.
Monte,
McDaniel,
Ellie
and Nigel.

He already saw me then as I am right now.

He knew where every wrinkled line 
would appear on my forehead.

He knew not only the number of hairs on my head 
but exactly which ones would start going gray.

He knew that being an Olympic ice skater was not the true desire of my heart.
(or that the Dorothy Hamill hairdo was the most flattering for my face.)


Can I just take a second to ponder that?


If all that is hard to imagine:

He sees me right now as what 
I still am yet to become.

Doesn't that just blow your mind?

Puts a little spring in my step.

Makes me want to hop out of bed in the morning so I can get on with the business of becoming that person.

Makes me want to get on my knees and pray 
I don't blow God's plan for me 
with MY plan for me.

Has anyone else gotten a spiritual lesson 
from listening to Captain & Tennille's "Shop Around"?

4 comments:

  1. Sumita2:05 PM

    Awesome! Never thought so much about that song but remember singing it:) Fun times, but how cool that God continues to work for our good at ALL times in all the times of our lives! Does make me excited to look at what He is doing now and get excited for what He will do next -- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I love that he loves us as we are as well as who we are becoming...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sumita,

    I guess I should not have put so much emphasis on the song as the memory of hearing it. It was never about the song but about being young. I hope that came through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mindy,

    Amen to that!

    ReplyDelete

Burning Down

The other day I was listening to the podcast The Next Right Thing. It was the episode titled Reflection as Activism.  Emily P. Freeman said ...