Monday, November 20, 2017

That Time I Got My Stitches Out

I didn't handle it well.


Bold color choice.
*SEE NOTE

I never have had stitches that needed to be removed.

They usually just painlessly dissolved on their own.

I'm not sure what constitutes using 
disolvable/removable stitches 
but PLEASE always sign me up 
for the disolvable.

The doctor told me I didn't have to make an appointment and could just pop in to have the stitches removed.

That set a "no biggie/this isn't going to hurt" 
tone for the entire visit for me.

I planned to pop in, 
take care of the stitches 
and then head to a bible study brunch.

They asked me once I went back to the examining room if I'd like to take off my pants.

I told them that I did not.

I rolled up my pant leg and sat on the exam table.

I noticed a beautiful black and white picture on the wall of a tree when an intense pain shot through my leg.

I felt a strong instinct to slap the woman in the neck.

So strong that I wondered if I did for a second.

She told me there was only one stitch left, the others had come out on their own.

Then she said a bunch of stuff about tape 
and it popping back open 
but I couldn't hear 
because I was busy deciding if I was going 
to cry 
or throw up.

But I was fairly sure I hadn't slapped her in the neck 
because she was pretty chipper.

I left and called Monte from the car.

I told him my quandary:

1. to cry

or

2. to throw up.

He said to go to the brunch and eat.

That's the go-to advice in our family:

protein.


And it worked.

The End.

*Don't Google "images of stitches being removed" unless you want to be forced back into a familiar quandary and you end up standing at the fridge eating a piece of turkey midmorning because:  protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Burning Down

The other day I was listening to the podcast The Next Right Thing. It was the episode titled Reflection as Activism.  Emily P. Freeman said ...