Thursday, November 09, 2017

Sunday School, Red Solo Cups and the Prophet/Inventor

I taught Sunday School this past week and had Ellie help me since I knew we were going to be making a messy craft/snack.

But it was more of a visual aid to the lesson.

I'll explain more in a minute.


There was a large group of kids and it was Communion Sunday.

Before we broke up by age groups, the youth pastor explained communion and what the bread and juice represented.

When the juice was being passed out, one of the little boys joked with the boy next to him that he was going to get drunk on wine.

Ok…

Then the youth pastor handed Ellie and I two large red Solo cups saying he'd run out of communion cups due to the large group.

I may or may not have said something to Ellie like it really did appear 
as if someone was going to get drunk on wine.

And it wasn't going to be the boy
with the little communion cup.

Ellie said she wanted to take a selfie because some of her friends from more conservative, formal churches thinks this is what it's like at our church anyway.

Drums, 
electric guitars 
and communion from red Solo cups.

To be clear, we drink JUICE during communion.

Juice that I am allergic to by the way.

If I'd downed that Solo cup, 
my throat would've closed as fast as those kids could veer off topic.

The craft was built around the importance of prayer in Daniel's life.

It was so important he didn't stop when he was threatened with being thrown into the lion's den.

In fact, he continued to pray INSIDE the lion's den.

Wouldn't you?

To drive home that priority of prayer,

we handed out small mason jars to each kid.

I told them the jars represented our life.

The same little boy with the wine comment said,

"Empty?"

God Bless you, teachers of America!

We then passed out a few handfuls of M&Ms to each of them saying they represented the important people in their life:

parents, grandparents, siblings, teachers, coaches.

Then we poured in each of their jars, crushed graham crackers representing the things they have to do:

school, homework, music lessons, sports, chores.

Finally, we passed out marshmallows for the kids to put in their jars.

These represented their prayers.

They could not all fit.

After brainstorming a bit about how we could make it all fit, we poured out our jars onto paper towels and started filling our jars again.

This time, we started with our prayers (marshmallows), 
then added the chores (graham cracker dust),
a few more prayers (marshmallows), 
and the important people we love (M&Ms)
and a few more prayers (marshmallows).

It all fit!



Minus a few important people that found their way into mouths 
and the chores that found its way all over the table 
and floor 
and one girl's entire shirt sleeve.

We then explained ways to pray and how it's good to pray the attributes of God.

It was FLYING all over the kindergarten-2nd graders' heads.

I tried to simplify it as best as I could.

I said that God knows everything all the time and we can thank Him for that in our prayers.

One little boy who had not spoken at all said,

with grand hand motions,

"It's like God's mouth is as big as the entire earth…"

I silently prayed that this wouldn't be another 
"drunk on wine" rabbit trail comment.

"And he's saying, for ALL to hear, 
'TRUST ME!'"

He whispered the last part.

Ellie and I were struck silent.
I may have gotten goosebumps.

This kid was a little prophet!

And none of the other kids seemed to appreciate that fact one bit.

I told the kids they could write out something they'd like prayer for on a card and trade with someone.

The prophet boy came up to me and said he couldn't read or write.

He showed me a little robot that he drew on his card, 

one eye WAY bigger than the other, 

and he asked for me to pray for him because he was an inventor 
and he needed prayer for his inventions.

An inventor AND a prophet!

I've thought of this little boy a lot this week.

I talked about him at bible study and then small group and I'm sure I'll bring him up again whenever the opportunity arises.

We make it so complicated.

We try to organize and prioritize our time, our prayers our home, our peace,

stuffing it all into our jars.

But we miss the part when God says,

"TRUST ME!"

With His mouth all wide open and big, apparently,
so all of us will listen up.

We try so hard to do life all on our own, 

not needing anybody,

that we don't ask anyone to pray for us.

Not just for our concerns and worries,

but our gifting and talents.

The dreams deep inside of us,
of robots with or without one bulbous eye.

We miss out on so much when we don't share.

I know I would've if this little boy hadn't.

It has been my privilege to pray for him this week and all the inventions that will come from him one day.

I can only imagine what God has planned for him once he learns to read and write.


The person who trusts in the LORD,
whose confidence indeed is the LORD, is blessed.
Jeremiah 17:7 CSB

Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results.
James 5:16 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Burning Down

The other day I was listening to the podcast The Next Right Thing. It was the episode titled Reflection as Activism.  Emily P. Freeman said ...