Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Flash

My friend Shannon dropped a book off for me this summer.

She said she thought of me when she read it.

It had a donkey on the front.


I’m not the least bit offended.

Ahem.
A friend asked McDaniel if they were aardvarks.
Aardvarks!
And then asked if it was her or Ellie’s drawing from elementary school.
Ouch.


The book is "Flash:  The Homeless Donkey Who Taught Me about Life, Faith, and Second Chances” by Rachel Anne Ridge.

There our books that I read where I am impressed by the writing, there are books that I just LOVE the writing and there are books I wish I wrote.

This is the latter for me.

Everything about the way Rachel sees the world and God’s lessons for her through this homeless donkey named Flash, is what I hope to write about one day.

Minus the donkey.

Although, after reading Flash, it made me want a donkey.

Which Shannon warned me about and I thought to myself, 
“Yeah, right.”

But she was.

And I did.

And still do.

I was in the waiting room of the dentist when I started reading this book.

Priscilla Shirer wrote the forward.
(I LOVE her bible studies!)

 I laughed out loud one moment and then came embarrassingly close to crying the next.

All while wearing the Jurassic Park t-shirt that Monte gave me 
thus breaking the “I’ll only wear it to bed” rule that I made for myself. 


In summary:  I was putting off a "I might be crazy" vibe
 in the very tiny waiting room of my dentist.

But you won’t regret reading this book!

Rachel beautifully parallels her walk with the Lord with the actions of Flash.

There’s an entire chapter on the ever-so-slight difference in chromosomes between a horse and a donkey and how Flash didn’t seem to notice and ran with the horses anyway.

Unashamed.

It’s great motivation.

Go get it.

Now.

And let me know what you think.


3 comments:

  1. Karmen....You made me cry! Goodness, thank you so much for this wonderful review. I can just picture you in the waiting room, wearing your Jurassic Park shirt, reading Flash. That's just perfect. I so appreciate you taking the time to share about it here...it means the world. As you can tell from my blog, Flash's lessons are continuing. I'm grateful for the blessing of this "inconvenient interruption" because he's reminded me so often of the goodness that's all around us. Thanks for making my day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      You are very welcome!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful book - a mixture of laughter and tears is always a good thing : )

    ReplyDelete

Burning Down

The other day I was listening to the podcast The Next Right Thing. It was the episode titled Reflection as Activism.  Emily P. Freeman said ...