Saturday, May 04, 2013

Energy Balls

I don't often have recipes that I get asked to share.

I like to cook but am not super great at it.

Baking is a disaster for me.

Too much math.

Can't wing it.
(But I like to wing it).

Disaster.

I am not always so good with instructions.

Back to my recipe…

I was looking online for something high in protein to feed the girls for breakfast.

They were getting WAY over English muffins and turkey bacon.

We needed something else.

I found this at:

Cutest name ever.
Ali calls them "No-bake energy bites"

Around here, they are Energy Balls.

Here is what you need:

That's it! No sugar either.

•1 cup dry oatmeal
•1/2 cup chocolate chips
•1/2 cup peanut butter
•1/3 cup honey
•1 tsp. vanilla

The original recipe also calls for:

•1 cup toasted coconut flakes 
(don't like coconut at our house)
•1/2 cup ground flaxseed
(don't know what that is, so why am I going to eat it?)

I always double the recipe because they are gone so fast!

Except for the chocolate chips. I don't double them because we like to keep the Energy Balls in the freezer and chomping on a frozen chocolate chip can be ouchie.

I mix all the dry ingredients first.

Look at me taking pictures and feeling like a Foodie.

Let me just say, that this stuff gets STICKY! I have some tactile issues with being sticky.

Don't get me started on maple syrup 
and why I barely allow it in my house.

But I push through my issues for this recipe.

It's that good!

Look at me getting all sticky in spite of my issues.
I form balls out of the dough. Not too big though, these guys are filling.



I put them in a container that can handle being frozen. 



Ours is our Tupperware Disney princess container we've had FOREVER.

I layer the balls using wax paper.



I stick them in the freezer because just chilled in the fridge makes you feel like you are eating raw cookie dough.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

But it can get a bit weird first thing in the morning.

And the girls do eat these for breakfast
and an after-school snack
and they are awesome smooshed in with some vanilla ice cream.

I just ate 2 while I typed this post.


Other ideas to add instead of chocolate chips:

•raisins
•dried berries like cherries or cranberries
•chopped almonds, pecans or sunflower seeds
•other chips like butterscotch or dark chocolate.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Burning Down

The other day I was listening to the podcast The Next Right Thing. It was the episode titled Reflection as Activism.  Emily P. Freeman said ...