Thursday, October 01, 2020

What DJ Khalil and Aretha Taught Me

My favorite thing to do while I work out or do errands or make dinner is to pull up my Apple music library of songs I've downloaded and hit shuffle.

It surprises and pleases me to no end the vast variety of songs I like enough to download.

I love that this morning during my workout I went from DJ Khalil's Elevate from the Spiderverse soundtrack to Aretha Franklin's Precious Lord, Take My Hand/You've Got a Friend which was recorded live at the New Temple Missionary Baptist Church in Los Angeles.

Both of these entire albums are so good.

Do people say albums anymore?




Check out some of the lyrics from Elevate:


Gotta go hard (gotta go hard)

I ain't got time to waste (I ain't got time)

I gotta go high (gotta go high)

I gotta elevate (I gotta elevate)

They wanna fight (they wanna fight)

I'm just gon' let 'em hate (I'm just gon' let 'em hate)

I gotta go high (gotta go high)

I gotta elevate (I gotta elevate)

You better choose a side, you gotta choose a side

You gotta pick

You better do what's right or you gonna lose the fight


Those words popped out at me.

Especially after the dismal dumpster fire that was the presidential debates this past week.

I think we all need to elevate about 14 notches,

thank you very much.

And not take the bait to fight.


Then Aretha Franklin came on with a gospel version of You've Got a Friend but instead of "me" she changed it to "Jesus".





Check it out:


When you're down and troubled

And you need a helping hand

And nothing, nothing is going right

Close your eyes and meditate on Him

And soon He will be there

God can brighten up even your darkest hour


You've got a friend in Jesus.


It was so reassuring to know that in a country so divided, there is a way to turn--up. 

Not stick our heads in the sand in avoidance but seeking a truth that is lasting.

In a season where people are fighting for and and against every imaginable topic and issue, we have a friend we can count on that doesn't care how we vote (seriously). 

Let the haters hate.

Let's do better. 

And in case you were wondering,

the next song that came on was

Harry Style's Watermelon Sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Burning Down

The other day I was listening to the podcast The Next Right Thing. It was the episode titled Reflection as Activism.  Emily P. Freeman said ...