Monday, October 16, 2017

Strike Two

Ellie decided to make fried pickles after school the other day.

I told her to be sure to turn on the exhaust fan lest the smoke alarm robot flip out.

Oh, why do I even speak words sometimes?

The smoke alarm robot lady flipped out.

She warned us there was smoke.

She warned us that there would be a loud sound.

Then she beeped 
and warned 
over 
and over 
and over 
again.

I got my chair out and tried to turn her off but she told me she could not be shut off.

What?!

I went to my phone app and got the same message when I tried to shut her down remotely.

The dog turned into a shaky, nervous mess.

We ruined him on beeping noises years ago 
with an ill-advised shock collar.

The robot kept telling us there was smoke even though the exhaust fan was on and Ellie was simply frying pickles.

Smoke Alarm Robot Lady shut down the AC and I couldn't get it back on so I opened the windows and nothing seemed to convince her that there was not in fact a fire happening in our house.

Finally, after what seemed like 4 weeks, 
the blasted alarm stopped beeping 
and Smoke Alarm Robot Lady said the smoke was dissipating.

I told Ellie those fried pickles had better be the best things ever.

They were. 
They really were!

I informed Monte I was not happy with Smoke Alarm Robot.

In my head I noted:

"STRIKE TWO!"

And I tried to remember the last place 
I saw Monte's Louisville Slugger baseball bat.

I'm not sure I have a Strike Three in me.

But I might be able to summon the strength to Carrie Underwood Smoke Alarm Robot.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Burning Down

The other day I was listening to the podcast The Next Right Thing. It was the episode titled Reflection as Activism.  Emily P. Freeman said ...