Monday, February 05, 2018

My Eye and the Lamp

I came home from church last Sunday and got all set to read on the couch. My eye started to bother me so I decided to take my contacts out.

Even with my contacts out, my right eye felt like there was something in it.

Something like glass, 
jagged rocks 
or gasoline.

My eye would not stop tearing up.

It hurt to open it and it hurt to close it.

I would like to go on the record to say that pain in the eye is STOP THE WORLD pain.

I couldn't do anything. 

I have tennis elbow and it hurts CONSTANTLY.

But I still live my life.

This eye situation had me at a standstill.

Luckily, we have an eye doctor for a neighbor but she wasn't home. She was able to tell Monte a type of natural tears eye drops to purchase at the pharmacy.

Monte decided to go ahead and ask about an eye patch 
while he was there.

I totally would've worn it. 

I was that desperate and in pain.

Isn't it interesting that our first instinct in pain 
is to cover it up?

The pharmacist did not recommend the eye patch in case I had an infection and bacteria would certainly spread under the warm conditions of a patch over the eye.

The eye drops helped me stop tearing up constantly but my eye was pretty swollen and sore.

I went to the eye doctor in the morning.

He kept asking me questions trying to figure out what happened to me.

I couldn't help because I had no idea.

He asked me to number my pain.

I gave it a 10 and he reacted like I had just answered with a letter.

I dislike any question that seems like 
there are no wrong answers 
until you answer it 
and get a wrong answer reaction.

I wanted to point out that I'd had two babies and would gladly have 12 more to not have one more second of that eye pain.

But I wanted to move on to the part where my eye was going to get fixed.

It was determined that I had two divots in my eye.

"Like golf," the doctor explained.

Not good.

Especially since I CANNOT THINK 
of what whacked two holes in my eyeball.

He gave me a prescription for an antibiotic eye drop and told me to wear my glasses exclusively.

He told me to change out all my makeup just in case there was a reaction.

As I was leaving, he asked if I had prescription sunglasses, I said no but that I had big sunglasses and I'd just stick them over my glasses.

I got the wrong answer face again.

For the record, he was right about that not working. 
I pulled into the grocery store on a sunny day 
and caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. 

My sunglasses didn't quite fit over my regular glasses and were pretty crooked.

I looked like I had either just had a liquid lunch 
or had been in a fight.

Or both.

When I went in for my follow up eye appointment I told the doctor the sunglasses over top of the glasses wasn't cutting it.

He gave me a role of sun blocking film to slide under my lenses.

He told me it wasn't a super great look 
but I was just going for something other than 
"drunken bar brawler" 
so it was all FINE BY ME.

During the follow up visit, the doctor was amazed at my progress. He commented that I shouldn't be this far along in my recovery and I fell in the 1% of people whose body healed quickly.

entirely different but I just took the win.

I walked outside this morning to see our street light looked a little different.


It was a post with no lamp on it.





The lamp was at the base of the post. I inspected to see if the glass was broken from a fall.

It wasn't.

It was then that I looked down the street to see ALL the lamp posts missing their lamps.

It was SO EERIE.

And not just because we've been watching Stranger Things.

But partly.

Clearly the city is doing some maintenance on the lamp posts but a street full of lampless posts is just, lacking.


[Anyone else humming "This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine?"]

We depend on that light to guide us home and help light our way on dog walks.

Just like I depended on my right eye to, 
you know, 
SEE.

It's not until it doesn't that we notice.

I certainly have taken eyesight for granted.

And well-lit streets.

And many other things, 
I'm sure.

It made me think of the verse in Psalm 119:105

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path."

David had it right when he said in 2 Samuel 22:26, 

"You are my lamp, O LORD;
the LORD turns my darkness into light."

"No one lights a lamp and puts it in a place where it will be hidden, or under a bowl. Instead he puts it on its stand, so that those who come in may see the light. Your eye is the lamp of your body. when your eyes are good, your whole body also is full of light. But when they are bad, your body also is full of darkness."

Luke 11:33-34

["Hide it under a bushel? No! I'm going to let it shine. Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine."]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Burning Down

The other day I was listening to the podcast The Next Right Thing. It was the episode titled Reflection as Activism.  Emily P. Freeman said ...